This section is established in 1975, together with the foundation of the Institute for the preservation of monuments of culture in Bitola.
The main activities of this section are: investigation, explorations, and by the use of the scientific methods to treat eh issues about the protection of the monuments f culture, to provide an immediate expert supervision over the performance of conservation and restoration of the monuments, based on the previously prepared project surveys; to prepare the required technical documentation and identification of the previous and present condition; prepare projects for conservation, restoration, reconstruction, adaptation of monuments of culture. Also, this section is in charge of providing opinions and issuing permits for carrying out conservation, reconstruction and presentation of the monuments of history and culture, especially concerning the construction side.
The conservation works of this section must take into account the construction legacy of all the historic periods on the territory of the municipality of Bitola.
Main realized activities are:
Architectonic recordings of the present condition of the buildings and foundation of file with data about the kind and extent of the damage, the technique and materials of construction during the identification of more than 120 sacral edifices, about 30 edifices of utilitarity, folkore and town manner architecture of the town and surrounding villages: Malovista, Suvodol and Biljanik. The architectural recording has been made on the probes of the different archaeological excavations of the localities : Heraclea, Turi Grav, Dibek, Seherezada and Suvodol.
Realization of the projects :
- “The reconstruction of the supporting walls, arches, terracce and fence for the Antique theater of Heraclea”;
- conservation and restoration of the Hamza bey Mosque;
- redecoration and partialy reconstruction of the porch roof of Ishak Mosque;
- revitalization of Zandan Kule in the school-yard of the E.S. “Stiv Naumov”;
- conservation and restoration of the Tower Clock;
- restoration of the roof of tha church of St. Petka in v. Malovista;
- reconstruction anf the roofand restoration of the ceillings of cloister church St.Petka in v. Capari;
- reconstruction of the west wing of the inn of the cloister St. Mercurius in v. Baresani;
- conservation and restoration of the church St. Sotir in v. Gopes;
- conservation and restoration of the church St. Nedela in Bitola;
- restoration and conservation of the façade of the Catholic church in Bitola;
- reconstruction of the shops in Bitola old bazaar; and in the last few years the restoration and conservation of the facades of the buildings on Marshal Tito St. was carried out.
In the past period, this section has registered more than 120 buildings, complete with architectonic recordings of the present condition of the buildings.
Over 50 facilities in Bitola and in the villages of Malovista, Suvodol and Biljanik. representing utilitarian and folk architecture have been registered in the same way. The section has also carried out architectonic recordings on the probe excava-tions on different archaeological investigations at the sites of Heraclea, Turi Graf, Dibek, Seherezada- Bitola and the village Suvodol.
In the last few years the activities of this section have been directed toward the conservation and restoration of the facades of several houses and buildings located on the street Marshal Tito, Dobrivoe Radosavlevic, Car Samoil and others. The results of these activities of the section were presented at the following exhibitions:
Construction legacy of Bitola, presented in drafts and projects in 2002.